You are currently browsing the category archive for the ‘Restoration’ category.
Leskernick North & South Stone Circles and Stone Row clearance, including the re-exposure of buried ring stones by the TimeSeekers Clearance Group Team Members (Part 1 of 3 reports). Text and images © Roy Goutté.
Text and images © Roy Goutté.
The above photo of the southern end of the South Circle taken in April 2016
The Sanro-den kake-zukuri Prayer Hall before restoration
At the end of 2013 we reported on the World Monuments Fund’s project to save and restore the Sanro-den kake-zukuri Prayer Hall in Ōzu, Ehime Prefecture, Shikoku Japan (see our feature Appeal for the restoration of the Sanro-den launched). The restoration project is now almost complete and, as today marks World Heritage Day and ICOMOS’ 50th anniversary, we’re happy to highlight that, with help from the World Monuments Fund, a celebration recently took place to mark the near-completion of the Sanro-den restoration project. The Sanro-den was included on the 2014 World Monuments Watch because of its deteriorated condition and its potential for community involvement. Structural work on the Sanro-den is now finished. “The remaining work includes public paths and a final codification of plans for site management and usage. Completion is scheduled for June 2015.”
The Sanro-den after restoration
TWYFORD HALL HISTORY
The building was constructed in 1853 as a Wesleyan Chapel and served as such until the end of WWI. During the turn of the century there was already a Twyford Men’s Club located in Twyford and when the Vicar Rev. R.W.H. Acworth arrived at the church in 1903, he had considerable impact on the club and as Club President he was instrumental in moving the club into the Weslyan Chapel. At this time the chapel had been empty for a few years when it was deserted by the Wesleyan congregation who had moved to Reading on the death of a previous vicar. As a result the Rev. Acworth bought the chapel, and rented it to the Men’s Club at the princely sum of £1 per month. The hall accommodated a full size billiard table, and a reading room which was provided with daily newspapers, and periodicals. Tea, coffee and other non-alcoholic drinks were available for a small charge. The hall was open six evenings a week from 7pm to 10pm and three times per week gymnastic exercise classes were held.
With the outbreak of WWI the men of Twyford were quick to respond to the call to arms. During the war 276 men enlisted from a total population of 1,200 (men women and children.) according to the 1911 census. Of these 34 young men made the ultimate sacrifice. One of the volunteers became known as the Ace of Twyford due to his record of 16 aerial victories being awarded the DFC and Bar. Another was lost presumed dead on a submarine; an unusual occurrence in those days.
In 1919 the Vicar Rev. Acworth was again active in supporting the men of Twyford by bequeathing the Chapel to the Men of Twyford in recognition of their contribution to the war effort.
THE HALL STILL RETAINS A COMMEMORATIVE TABLET LISTING EVERY NAME OF THOSE WHO SERVED KING AND COUNTRY
Since 1919 the building has served as a club dedicated to playing billiards and snooker and other social activities continued as before. Currently the club is rather unique in that members pay an annual fee which entitles them to their own key so that they have access 24/7. In addition it is now open to male and female members and is available to hire by local societies such as drama and musical groups for rehearsals and practice.
Graham C. Cook M.Sc. Trustee.
In the year 2019 we intend to celebrate the 100 years, since it was bequeathed, by having the hall rededicated by the local vicar and also re-named The Twyford Memorial Hall. This name would reflect the memorial contents of the hall; ie the commemorative tablet mentioned above plus an engraved porcelain tile which expresses thanks to God for the service by the men of Twyford.
If you are able to help with the refurbishment and rededication of The Twyford Memorial Hall please contact us at –
www.facebook.com/twyfordsnookerhall Twitter: @helpourhall
Or firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 0118 969 1668 Mob: 07785738034
Knill’s Monument, St. Ives, Cornwall
High on a hill overlooking the British coastal town of St. Ives, Cornwall stands Knill’s Monument, a 50-foot-high granite obelisk steeped in local tradition dating back over two centuries. The imposing structure was the final work of the architect John Wood the Younger, and was built in 1782 as a mausoleum for and memorial to the mayor of St. Ives, John Knill (1733–1811). Exposed to the harsh coastal elements, Knill’s Monument suffered notable deterioration over the years, its ailing condition marked by missing and damaged pointing, vegetation growing on the structure, and the poor state of the original commemorative shield. This brief video produced by World Monuments Fund Britain highlights its restoration.
More from the World Monuments Fund here.