The original 1897 French Baroque-style building of the Kyoto National Museum

The Kyoto National Museum (京都国立博物館) complex comprises the original French Baroque-style building, as well as the Western Gate, the south and the west walls (all constructed in 1897 using brick imported from Britain) and the later 1966 Collections Hall; the latter is presently undergoing renovation and will be closed until 2014. During renovation, the Baroque-style part of the Museum will be the only part open, and this only for special exhibitions held there three or four times a year. Once renovations to the Collections Hall are complete it will again exhibit Chinese and Japanese archaeological objects, lacquer ware, metalwork, textiles, paintings and sculpture, many of which belong, or belonged, to the Imperial Household Agency, Kyoto’s many temples as well as numerous private collections.

More here.